When: May 5, 2016
Where: A+D Architecture and Design Museum, 900 E 4th St. Los Angeles, CA90013
Tickets: $15 Individual/$7 Students
A+D Members, Cal Poly Students and Alumni Free w. RSVP
Hitoshi Abe is the founder of Atelier Hitoshi Abe (AHA), a leading international design practice which has realized architecture and planning projects across broad scales and typologies. This includes educational institutions, museums, housing, commercial and retail spaces, and cultural facilities. The firm’s work has been published internationally and has received numerous awards, including the Vienna Municipal Council Schorsch Award for its WU building (2013), the ICONIC AWARD for its reimagining of 3M Corporate Headquarters (2015), First Prize in the re-planning of the University of Montpellier (2010), the SIA-Getz Prize for Emergent Architecture in Asia (2008) and the Building Contractors Society Award for Miyagi Stadium (2001). AHA’s work is also the subject of two monographs, including Hitoshi Abe Flicker (TOTO) from his exhibition in 2005 at the Gallery Ma in Tokyo and Hitoshi Abe published by Phaidon in 2009.
In addition to the work of his practice, Hitoshi has established himself as a leader in education, with a decade-long distinguished career. In 2007, he was appointed professor and chair of the UCLA Department of Architecture and Urban Design. In 2010, he was appointed Paul I. and Hisako Terasaki Chair in the Study of Contemporary Japan, as well as Director of the UCLA Paul I. and Hisako Terasaki Center for Japanese Studies. Hitoshi has also been involved in a variety of other activities, including publishing monographs and articles, editing books, and participating in international exhibitions and conferences. CALA and AIA|LA are among the prestigious co-sponsors of this event.
- Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:00AM Downtown Los Angeles Walking Tour
- Thursday, February 26, 2015, 6:30 PM - 9:00PM: Michael Maltzan, FAIA of Michael Maltzan Architecture
- Thursday, March 12, 2015, 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM: Sharon Johnston and Mark Lee of Johnston Marklee & Associates
- Tuesday, May 14, 2015 6:30PM – 9:00PM: Stanley Saitowitz of Natoma Architects
- Tuesday, March 8, 2016, 6:30pm - 8:30pm: Eric Howeler & Meejin Yoon of Howeler+Yoon
- Thursday, March 10, 2016, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM: Antoine Picon, Harvard University Graduate School of Design
- Thursday, April 7, 2016, 6:30PM - 8:30 PM: Michael Folonis, FAIA, Michael W. Folonis Architects
- Thursday, April 21, 2016: Kevin Daly, FAIA, Kevin Daly Architects
- Thursday, June 2, 2016: Julie Eizenberg, FAIA, Koning Eizenberg